Monday, March 30, 2020

Online School: Day 1

Today the girls started the online learning they will be doing for the rest of the year. So far, so good!

Since both kids are in high school, the day lasts from about 8:30am-12pm and then they check in for homeroom from 1pm-1:15pm. They "met" with their teachers and classmates through Zoom video conferencing today, but most of the time they will just be completing work on their own. Some teachers will also be utilizing Google Hangout as well...which some teachers had done before. 

As far as grades go, the school has decided that no student's grade will drop below what it is now. The third quarter grades have already been archived and stored. For the last quarter, the school will run a utility that will compare the 3rd quarter grade and the 4th quarter grade...then the higher of the two grades will be the official grade on the transcript. So they will be able to raise their grade, but it won't drop below the grade they earned last semester.

Aubry is loving the online learning. She even said she wished they'd started it sooner! ;) She already has all As and Bs, so she is going to put most of her focus on trying to get those two B grades up to an A. Ashlyn has a few more classes that she really needs to focus on this semester to raise her grades. It didn't help that she started out the second semester by missing three weeks of school when she was sick in January. So hopefully she can get her grades up over the next month and a half.

I did venture out to Walmart today. Aubry needed some new earbuds with a microphone for their video conferencing so I left about 7:45am to pick some up. I went ahead and got our groceries for the next week or two while I was there. It actually worked out better than doing grocery pick-up. Since I was there early, almost everything I wanted was in stock.

Working from home is still going well for Johnny. It's nice that I can refill his coffee for him or grab whatever else he needs through the day. :) I also like his customer service voice! ;) Luckily the kids are older and their dogs stay downstairs with them...so it's relatively quiet. The girls had already gotten pretty used to keeping the house quiet because I've been working from home since October 2018...so that worked out well.

I still haven't been able to grab any files to transcribe. But I've just been using the time to get other things done. :) I think this coming weekend I'm going to steam clean the carpet in the living room and dining room again. So I need to get everything cleaned up and make room to rearrange the furniture while I steam clean.