Thursday, March 19, 2020

I'm not a worrier.

Once upon a time, I used to be a person who worried a lot. About everything. All the time. I was so paralyzed by the fear of making my life worse than it already was that I just didn't want to make decisions at all. But...then I went through a messy divorce where I had very little control of the situation. There was nothing I could do to change what was happening. I learned to just do what I can and accept what I can't. It was a bit of a struggle at first, but eventually it just became a new way of life for me.

So I'm not a worrier anymore. I'm married to someone who is very much a worrier. He will stress about things that haven't happened yet -- and may never happen -- until he makes himself sick. It is one of the few ways that Johnny and I are different. I am a problem solver and I try to take care of any issues that arise and do what I can to lessen his worries. When there's nothing we can do, I try to remind him to stay calm and wait until something actually happens instead of stressing about IF it will happen. It's easier said that done, of course, but I support him as best as I can.

There is a lot of uncertainty going around these days. Grocery shopping has become an interesting situation. I'd gotten our normal grocery pick-up order shortly before everything started flying off the shelves so we've been fine...and we'll continue to be fine. We have a little bit of hamburger and I still have a whole bag of frozen chicken breasts. We have enough canned goods to last a little while because I try to stay stocked up. I try to make enough food for dinner so that we have leftovers for at least one more day or to have for lunch.  The only thing we may run out of is milk...which is likely the case for a lot of people. I have our biweekly grocery pickup scheduled for tomorrow...so we will see how much of our order is actually available. ;)

Earlier this week, it was announced that schools in the state of Kansas will be "closed" for the remainder of the school year. There is a statewide task force which is developing strategies that districts can use for continuing education at home, how to make sure students get free meals, how to handle students with IEPs, postponing graduations, etc. There are a lot of people flipping out right now and basically demanding immediate answers...but that's not our household.

I have a freshman and a senior. My freshman has been struggling a bit this year because she missed three weeks of school when she was sick at the beginning of the year. The only thing she is sad about is that she is grounded from her phone at the moment...so she just wants to be at school to socialize. :P My senior was a bit excited at first...then she started realizing that this is really it for her. She was supposed to direct a one-act play and that would no longer be happening. She was going to take her boyfriend to prom. Although she went last year, it was just with her friends. And then, of course, there is graduation (although I'm sure it is just being postponed right now). But, we talked quite a bit the day it was announced...so we're just waiting to see what the district decides and how things go with the Covid-19 situation. I'm trying to impress upon them that it's best to try not to worry about things that haven't happened yet...see what actually happens before reacting.

Johnny is a little more preoccupied with work. He is in an industry which is considered a required service. There is really no distancing going on in the call center. A friend of his there just got back from a cruise...but management is saying that it "doesn't count" per the CDC guidelines because they interpret it to mean that only cruises to certain countries count. And considering this is a company that punishes employees for using sick leave if it is not scheduled in advance, there isn't a lot of confidence with how they will handle the situation. But...it is what it is. And, right now we are trying to be thankful that Johnny still has a job right now when so many have been furloughed, laid off, etc.

I work from home, so I don't have to worry about leaving the house or social distancing. However, work has been pretty sporadic. Most times when I check the queue, there are no orders available. I'm not sure if it is because there are fewer orders or if there are just more people available to pick up the work...but I just keep checking throughout the day and use the rest of the time to get things done at home. Luckily my income right now is just supplemental.

I really just hope that we all stay healthy. The best thing we can all do is remain patient and be responsible. This situation affects everyone...so we're all just going to have to get through it as well as we can.