Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Still busy!

May has been a super busy month! And it's not even half over yet! 

I picked up the paint on Thursday. For the four bedrooms, we'd used Valspar paint from Lowes. This time I decided on Sherwin Williams SuperPaint Interior Acrylic Latex paint in Satin finish. It's a paint and primer in one that dries fast and is supposed to hold up to scrubbing...which I thought would be good in this high-traffic area. I absolutely LOVE the colors: Accessible Beige and Green Onyx. The beige went on pretty well, but the green required a second coat. Since the stairs were such a pain in the butt anyway, I decided to go ahead and paint all the walls along the stairs beige instead of having to do two coats of the green on the tallest wall (from the bottom of the stairs to nearly the very top of the vaulted ceilings). We had to use the edger on the extension pole to paint the walls along the ceiling...and the edger was HORRIBLE. So since I couldn't really reach the ceiling to paint it by hand with the brush and the beige is less noticeable when it comes to the imperfections along the edge...I decided that three green walls were good enough. :P I thought about painting one of the walls in the kitchen green, but Johnny would rather have the beige. That kitchen wall is the last full wall I have left to finish. Originally we were going to move the fridge to paint behind it...but I think I'm just going to tape it off and paint back as far as I can and if/when we ever move the fridge...then we'll paint it. :P So tomorrow I plan to get everything along that wall in the kitchen taped off and painted. There are also a couple places where the beige coverage was a bit thin on one of the living room walls so I need to touch those up as well. And Johnny is going to get the corner edge above the stairs because I couldn't get it close enough with the roller and the HORRIBLE edger broke...so he's going to do that for me when he's feeling better. And when he does that, he's also going to change out the light above the stairs to match the other lights that we put up in the kitchen and dining room. :) 

Oh and the cheap baby gates that I got to keep the cats out of the way while I'm painting? Yeah that didn't work. :P I couldn't get the gate by the "window" opening over the stairs to fit tight enough and Leo just pushed his way through the bottom corner of it. And the second baby gate that I put above the gate we already had in the hallway...Leo jumped over both gates from the bookshelf and both Milo and Angel squeezed through the bars of the gate we already had on the bottom. :P But luckily the paint dried pretty quickly and the cats didn't get into anything. Johnny hasn't been feeling well, so Bozley mostly laid in bed with Johnny while I was painting. 

I am REALLY loving the way it's all coming together. Sometime I plan to get this wine rack to put on the shelf in the corner of the dining room. And I got this towel bar for in front of the kitchen sink (so the towels will stop falling off the cabinet door) and this rug with an Amazon gift card I had for a return. The rug is the same pattern that's in the living room and at our front door; it's just a different size. It matches our curtains and tablecloth much better than the old rug...which has seen a lot of traffic since we bought it 6 years ago. Oh and then sometime I also want to get this 3-tier fruit bowl for the kitchen counter, too. If you can't tell, I really love that black scroll look. ;) 

We still have to figure out what to do with all the stuff that was above the cabinets in the kitchen. I'd gone through it once before, but I didn't really know what all Johnny wanted to keep or what else to do with any of it...so there were only a few things I actually put in the garage sale box. :P So Johnny will have to decide what to do with all that stuff. But...other than that, we're pretty much done with the kitchen and dining room. :) I will take pictures when it's all finished and put back together again.

I had a really good mother's day! I woke up and told all the special mothers in my life, "Happy mother's day." My step-son wished me a happy mother's day and we chatted for a little while to catch up, so that was nice. Aubry came over in the afternoon and the four of us went to get our second dose of the Covid19 vaccination. We had an appointment at Dillons and it went smoothly again...in and out pretty quickly. Then after we were done, Aubry bought us Hibachi for dinner. :) We picked up the food to eat at home and watched a comedy special on Netflix while we ate. I'd already received my gift (the multi-position ladder), but I got cards from everyone and it was really nice to spend the time together. :) Johnny actually got me two cards. One was a sentimental one in which he writes the sweetest letter like he does for every holiday. And then he found another funny one that was SO true: "To my Wife since it's Mother's Day, you just relax. I'll take care of everything. By the way...where is everything?" It's definitely fitting. Apparently I'm the only one in the house who ever knows where everything is. ;) 

Well...I better wind down so I can be productive tomorrow! I hope everyone is doing well!