Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Hello May!

Things have continued to be busy around here! 

Monday the 26th it ended up being too windy for the roofer to start, but I'd already planned to take Bozley out to my mom's house and had to help my dad with his computer problem, so we still spent the day out there. Then we woke up Tuesday morning to the roofer at the door ready to get started. Bozley and I were still in bed when the roofers came to the door and Bozley was already pretty anxious. I had to take him outside to go to the bathroom and he was SO freaked out by people walking around on our roof and making so much noise. And then he didn't really want to go out the front door...especially when he saw the ladder. But...once we got into the car he was fine. And he was a really good boy out at my mom's house. We spent the day out there and had lunch with my mom. Even at mom's he kept looking up at the ceiling...which was actually pretty funny because one time he did it right after I said something so it looked like he was rolling his eyes at me. LOL! The roof was completely finished around 7pm and so we headed back home. But even though the roofers were gone by then, Boz still hadn't forgotten that they'd been on the roof. He kept looking up at the roof checking to see if anyone was there. It didn't help that a few days later, there were some roofers working a couple houses down so he'd hear the noises and look up at our roof. :P But at least our roof is finished and hopefully we won't have to worry about it for another 20 years! 

We also got the lights put up in the kitchen and dining room! We went with oil-rubbed bronze lights (they basically look black) which really ties together everything else we have in here. It's definitely better than the brassy light fixtures the builders used 20 years ago! We also bought the matching large single light to hang above the stairs in the living room. Since the lights were on clearance, we wanted to get it just in case they were going to stop carrying it or something. I am absolutely LOVING the way they look: 

20210426_234001 20210426_233602

The curtains in the kitchen are also new and it's the same pattern as the tablecloth we bought, like, five years ago or something. I'm also going to replace the old rug in the kitchen with one like the rug we have in the living room which matches the colors of the curtains better. There's a 39" by 55" size for $28 on Amazon that I think will fit well right there. But other than a few little things I want to get here and there, we're basically done with the kitchen and dining room. 

Well...aside from painting. We finally decided on colors and ordered the paint! I even found a $10 coupon (LOVE coupons!). :) We're going with Sherwin Williams Green Onyx and Accessible Beige. Most of the walls in the kitchen and living room will be the beige color except for the dining room wall (the one with the wine pictures on it) and the three narrow walls next to it that wrap around the hallway and the end of the stairs. And I think we're going to paint the inside of the front door the green color as well. We'll probably end up needing another gallon of the beige, but I'll get that when I'm done with what I've got. I'd already started patching and sanding some of the imperfections/damage on the walls over the weekend to get it ready to be painted...just have the area behind the couch to finish after we move the couch away from the wall. And then I just have to wipe the walls down and I'll be ready to paint! 

I also asked for an early mother's day present and Johnny bought me a multi-position ladder with a leg leveler that I can use on the stairs. :) We have vaulted ceilings (which includes above the stairs!) so any time we have to change lightbulbs in the ceiling fan, change the time in the clock above our hallway (it's currently an hour behind because I can't get up there easily to change it lol), change the batteries in the smoke detector...it's a huge pain in the butt. And there's no way I'd be able to paint the top of those walls very well without a tall ladder that I can also use on the stairs. Even with the ladder, I'll still need an extension pole for painting above the stairs. We'll also use it to change the light above the stairs AND finally put the painting over the couch on the stairway wall and hang up the metal wall art that my sister bought for us a few years ago. Originally I was going to put them in the stairway but I think I'll like them better above the couch. So...I'm super excited about my present! I love practical presents just as much as anything else...more if it's something I need to be able to do something I want. :) I'll be SO happy to have the walls painted. They haven't been painted or touched up in these rooms since Johnny bought the house in 2006 so they're definitely showing the years of wear and tear. Plus it'll be nice to have a bit of color instead of all the white walls. And...after we're done painting, we'll finally get around to putting the baseboards back up! They've just been in the garage since we replaced the flooring. :P

I had a $25 Amazon gift card that I got for redeeming 25,000 of my Fetch reward points. I used it to get a few new rollers, an extension pole, and an edger that I can also put on the extension pole. I am also going to pick up some cheap baby gates from Walmart to put above the gate we already have in the hallway and then the cut-out area at the end of the stairs so I can keep the cats out. And I'll probably have to paint in the evenings after Johnny gets off work because I don't want Bozley in here while I'm painting, either. Hopefully it won't take too long, though. 

We've also continued to work outside too. Well, I say we but it's mostly Johnny. I help a little bit, but my main contribution was just finding someone to haul off a bunch of crap that we'd accumulated in the backyard. Johnny's truck broke down several years ago so we just haven't had a convenient way of hauling anything off. I contacted 3D Field Services on Facebook and they were able to come out the following day to give us a free estimate. They arrived right on time Saturday, gave us the price, and said they could get started right then and there. They took EVERYTHING and even made two trips...one for the junk on the regular trailer and then they came back with a trailer that has taller sides to get all the branches and yard debris. They did a FANTASTIC job! And I'm so glad to finally have everything gone! The before/after picture speaks for itself! 

Other than that, Johnny has still been working on getting some grass growing in the bare spots in the yard. We do have some grass coming in now! He's going to check the sprinkler system sometime this week to see if it's still working and figure out which zones are where so he can hopefully water the new grass more easily. It'll be nice once there's more grass and less mud for the dogs to get into! 

I've also been getting a little bit of writing done. I've had a novel in the works for years...just need to finish it. So I work on it a little bit here and there in between work and stuff around the house. 

So...that's what we've been up to! :)