Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Recipe: Pressure Cooker Mexican Beef Stew

I made something new tonight for dinner that Johnny thought might be tasty. Like most recipes that I've made (except for a couple of the family recipes I've posted), I took a few recipes I'd found and changed it up a bit. I've found I have a lot more success that way instead of following a recipe as it's written. :) And this was no exception. Johnny loved it! It tastes kind of like taco chili with stew meat. It's delicious! Well...unless you're weird like Ashlyn and my sister and don't like soups. :P 


Pressure Cooker Mexican Beef Stew 
Ingredients:
2.5 lbs of stew meat
4 tbs flour
1 pkg taco seasoning (I use McCormick mild taco seasoning)
2 tbs of oil, divided
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1/2 tsp dried minced garlic
1lb carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces 
1 can beef broth
1 can mild Ro-Tel tomatoes
1 can chili ready tomatoes
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can tomato sauce 
1 can golden sweet corn 
1 can green beans
top with optional shredded cheddar, 
chopped green onions, tortilla chips, crackers, etc.

Directions: 
Separate the stew meat into two batches, coat with flour, and sear in 1 tbs of oil in two separate batches. 
Remove stew meat. Sauté onions and minced garlic until onions have browned and softened, then remove. 
Pour beef broth and both cans of tomatoes into the pressure cooker. Add stew meat and onions, 
carrots, black beans, and corn. Stir in taco seasoning. Pour tomato sauce on top but do not stir.  
Close and lock pressure cooker. Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes. Let pressure release naturally for 15 minutes before  quick releasing the rest of the pressure. 
Remove lid and stir. With the keep warm setting on, add green beans and stir to heat through. 
Serve topped with whatever you like...such as cheese, green onions, and tortilla chips. I actually just topped mine with regular saltine crackers. 

*I used the 6qt Viva Instant Pot for this recipe.