Friday, September 18, 2020

2020 is...rough.

This year has been a tough year for our family. While one would probably think it is because of the pandemic...that is just a small portion of it. My Great-Aunt Betty died on May 4th. Then my Aunt Carole died on May 7th. There was a graveside service for each of them, but with Covid-19 we didn't gather as we normally would have. 

And then on September 9th, my Grandma Ina (Carole's mom) also passed away. Grandma's death was particularly hard. For many of us grandkids, a large portion our childhoods were spent at her house. Our children spent a lot of time at her house. Every Christmas Eve was spent at her house. My grandparents sold my mom the land she built her house on...right next door to their house. So we were very close and made so many memories over the years. As grateful as we are to have all those wonderful memories, it's also devastating to know that we won't be making more memories with her. 

My grandma loved to read. She had hundreds of books on three bookcases in the living room as well as built-in shelves that cover an entire wall, two bookcases in the dining room, a bookcase near the hallway, and then three bookcases in the computer room...each one packed full of books. Each one has one of her return address labels or her name written inside the front cover. We were able to go through all of her books and pick the ones we want...as many as we wanted. I've moved all my textbooks and nonfiction books so that I can put Grandma's books on my little bookcase in our bedroom. If I had the room, I'd take all the books and create a library downstairs. I'd love to have built-in bookcases. <3 

The girls and I attended her graveside service. It largely consisted of family and some close family friends saying a few words about her and their relationship with her. Aubry decided to stand up and give her own impromptu speech, which was beautiful. 

Since Johnny had to work and is working from home, we had to bring the puppies with us to my mom's house. They were in their kennels while we were at the cemetery. Afterwards, I took Bozley with me next door to my grandparents' house. He was such a good boy. He does well around people...even crowds of people. He pretty much stayed by me the whole time aside from when some of the kids were walking him around on the leash. He would explore in my vicinity or just lay at my feet. He had no problem with people petting him (although sometimes the puppy biting would start, so I had to correct him with that). He is just so laid back...and the calm is a definite improvement from the crazy, high-strung chihuahuas! But I think having Boz there after the funeral was nice for everyone. One of my cousins told me that she was really glad he was there...because dogs bring comfort and happiness. 

Here is a picture of Boz with Ashlyn and Neko when we stopped at Quik Trip on our way back home: 


Boz really does well off the leash. In the days leading up to the funeral, I spent quite a bit of time between my mom's house and my grandparents' house. He had his harness on, but he doesn't like to go to the bathroom while on the leash so I would unclip it in the yard between the houses (there are no fences) and he never strayed more than 6 feet or so away from me. Eventually I just abandoned the leash altogether because he would walk right beside me as we went back and forth. But...he also doesn't like not being around me. Like if we're in the backyard at home and I go in the house, he won't stay out there. Even if Johnny is out there, he will bark at the door to come inside with me. So I don't know if he would be the same with anyone else. Boz definitely seems to have bonded the most with me...but I think it's just because I'm the one he spends the day with. Johnny is working in the bedroom during the day while I'm usually in the living room with Boz. And to make sure Bozley isn't loud or anything while Johnny is working, I take him with me if I have to go anywhere during the day. I also feed him more often, so there's that. ;) 

We did get some good news this week though. We found out that Johnny will be able to work from home through the end of the year! We're very, very happy about that. I've gotten used to having him home with me all day! I get to spend each of his breaks with him and bring him coffee when he needs a refill, etc. Plus there's more time with him in the mornings and no waiting for him to get home after work. And of course, the greatest benefit is that he's not exposed to illnesses. It'd be nice if he could always work from home!