Friday, June 7, 2019

Recipe: Mayonnaise Chocolate Cake

I've been going through recipes in all the cookbooks we have here at the house. Once upon a time my grandma gave me the Best Recipes From the Backs of Boxes, Bottles, Cans, and Jars cookbook. There are 592 pages of recipes that come from...the backs of boxes, bottles, cans, and jars.
Disclaimer for all my recipes: I do not always follow a recipe exactly, so while it may have been inspired by the recipe in this cookbook, I may have altered it since then.  

When I was in the mood to do some baking, I went through all my dessert recipes and one in particular caught my attention. A chocolate cake that came from a Hellman's Mayonnaise jar. That's right... mayonnaise. :P You can't actually taste the mayonnaise...it just tastes like a nice, moist chocolate cake. And the frosting tastes like chocolate ice cream!

I'm much better with cookies than I am with cake...mostly because I'm more interested in how something tastes rather than how it looks. So the whole cutting cake layers to be level thing and pretty frosting isn't really my style. I just kind of wing it (with extra frosting in between the layers to level things out). :P

Speaking of winging it...
I don't really like frosting unless it's whipped cream. I thought I had a large container of Cool Whip in the fridge, but that turned out to be some sort of leftovers the girls' brought home. :P So not only did I not have as much Cool Whip as I thought, I also didn't have any that wasn't frozen. So I ran the container under some hot water, got impatient, and just ended up throwing it in the mixer to get all the lumps out...so it isn't as fluffy as it could've been. ;)

And without further ado...

Chocolate Mayo Cake with Chocolate Cool Whip Frosting


INGREDIENTS: 
2 cups - flour
2/3 cup - unsweetened cocoa
1 1/4 tsp - baking soda
1/4 tsp - baking powder
1 1/2 cup - sugar
3 - eggs
1 tsp - vanilla
1 cup - real mayonnaise
1 1/2 cup - water

DIRECTIONS: 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two round 9" cake pans. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside. In a large bowl with mixer at high speed, beat sugar, eggs, and vanilla occasionally scraping bowl for 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and beat in mayo. Add flour mixture in 4 additions alternately with water, beginning and ending with flour. Pour into pans and bake for 30-35 minutes until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes then cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Spread frosting in between cake layers and cover entire cake. Store covered in refrigerator.

FROSTING: 
(1) 4oz box - chocolate instant pudding mix
1/4 cup - powdered sugar
1 cup - milk
(1) 8oz pkg - thawed Cool Whip
Combine pudding mix, powdered sugar, and milk in a mixing bowl. Mix on low speed until blended. Fold in thawed Cool Whip. Spread onto cake which has cooled completely.