Thursday, June 6, 2019

#birdwatching

My husband loves birds. He actually used to raise several different kinds of birds once upon a time. Now he just enjoys sitting on the porch with his morning cup of coffee and watching them.

A couple weeks ago, I saw a wren gathering things to make a nest. I mentioned it to Johnny, but then I didn't really think about it again because birds are more his thing than mine. I'm more of a "that's cool" and move on kind of person.

Then a week or two ago, we started seeing a male and female cardinals hanging out a lot in front of our house. One morning I heard the baby birds chirping away and realized the cardinals were going back and forth between our front tree and the bushes in front of the porch.



We also saw wrens hanging out a lot in the bushes. Johnny figured out that a male wren was also feeding the babies in the nest...the same babies in the same nest! We spent way too long one day watching them all go back and forth and googling how often birds actually do things like that. :P
The picture below is the female cardinal and a male wren on our porch railing. I believe it's a Bewick's Wren? I don't know...ornithology isn't really one of my specialties. ;)



Then yesterday, the cardinals were with a baby up in our front tree while two other babies were still in the nest:


Today, the nest was empty and there was a baby in a different bush in front of our porch and another in a bush off to the side and the male cardinal and wren are still hanging out with them (the female cardinal may have still been around, but I didn't see her).


So...while birds aren't usually my thing, it has been pretty fascinating watching these cardinals and wren apparently co-parent these baby birds. :) Oh and just a side note, I have no idea if the babies are cardinals and/or wrens. Again...not an ornithologist at all whatsoever. :P