Monday, January 3, 2022

Starting the new year!

I can't believe it's already 2022! The years just keep going by so fast. It's hard to believe that this year Johnny and I will celebrate TEN YEARS back together (and five years married). It seems like a long time...but at the same time, it doesn't. Time flies when you're having fun! ;) 

We ended/started the year with a nice weekend at home. I cooked that frozen turkey breast that we didn't end up using for Thanksgiving in the pressure cooker. So the night of New Years Eve we had turkey, mashed potatoes, noodles, corn, and gravy for dinner. We still have quite a bit of turkey left so we've been making sandwiches too. :) We finally finished watching the last season of The Magicians on NYE...but we realized that it's been so long in between that we'd forgotten a lot that's happened. So since then we've started over from the beginning since new episodes of our regular shows still haven't come back yet. 

Aubry came over on Saturday to start cleaning out her room. She has been living at XH's parents' house since shortly after she turned 18 but most of her stuff has still been in her room. So she got a box of stuff to take with her, another box of stuff that she's planning to take with her when she gets her own place, and then separated out some garage sale stuff and things to throw away. She still has more to go through but at least she's been making progress. Her bed is actually one that Johnny had previously bought for big Ashlyn so we'll probably ask her if she wants that back. If not, then we will probably just tear it down to store for when Aubry finds her own place or when someone else needs a bed or something. With the bed out of there, we'll have more room for storage. :) 

Speaking of beds...we're supposed to get an adjustable king-size bed from my grandma this spring so we got a head start on making room for it in our bedroom. Yesterday we turned our bed around so the headboard is on the opposite wall from where it was...and the dresser and Johnny's desk is now where the bed was. Our solid oak bedframe is HEAVY. I do all my own heavy lifting...but man I'm feeling it today! When we moved it from downstairs up to our room I'd taken the bed apart since I was doing it myself while Johnny was working. But about halfway through moving the bed just across the room I'd wished we'd taken it apart again. LOL! :P But now we should just be able to swap out our bed for the new bed without moving anything else in the room. 

It's funny how the dogs reacted to our room being different. Bozley was scared while we were moving everything, of course. And he really didn't seem to like the room being changed around, either. Every time he got up on the bed, he acted nervous. And apparently Nova's inner compass was set to the bed itself and not its position in the room. With the bed flipped around, Johnny and I are on different sides of the bed now (back to the way it was when our bed was downstairs). Well, Nova used to lay her head across Johnny's legs facing the edge of the bed...last night she was laying on mine. But this morning I woke up and Novee was sleeping in the dog bed and Boz was laying on the floor. Milo didn't sleep on his pillow last night either...but after we got the bed moved he was having a blast running back and forth under the bed. It's always been up against the wall so this is the first time he was able to come out from under the bed on both sides...so he thought that was pretty cool. :P lol.

I decided not to work at all over the holiday weekend...so I'm going to focus on making some more designs to put up in my Etsy shop. :) But first I need to go through my spreadsheets and change everything to 2022. I like to get all of our bills set up at the beginning of the year so that each payday I just pay all the bills that are due before the next payday. I've found it's much more efficient that way than paying each of them on the date they are due (which is what Johnny used to do). I like knowing exactly how much money we have left after bills until the next payday. I also keep trach of annual bills (like Amazon Prime, our security cameras, car tags, etc) and add medical bills and school expenses as they come up. I also have spreadsheets to track all my transcription work as well as business expenses, home office deductions, and income for my CandiMaker business. I track all that throughout the year so I'm ready whenever it's time to file our taxes...which I've always done myself. I really like spreadsheets, if you can't tell. ;)  

So...I better get back to work! :)