Friday, May 8, 2020

Progress!

Thursday, April 29th, our flooring arrived. FedEx Freight delivered it to the driveway. Luckily it was delivered before Aubry had to go to work so she was here to help carry the 612 pounds of flooring (divided into 17 boxes) into the house. Ashlyn helped during the last little bit of it...always late to the party. :P The luxury vinyl planks are supposed to be stored flat the same place it will be installed so that it can acclimate to the temperature and humidity of the room. So it worked out well...since I still had quite a bit of stuff I needed to get done before installation. 

Friday, I finished organizing everything in the basement. All of our stuff and the stuff we'll eventually put in a garage sale is all stacked on one end of the basement. Then at the opposite end, I moved all of the boxes of Johnny's mom's things down there. It had previously been stacked in the office, but I'm glad to have a more long-term and out-of-the-way place for everything...especially since we're not sure how long we will be storing it all. And an added bonus, I suppose, is that I got a lot of exercise in moving all those boxes downstairs! :P My Fitbit said that I climbed 61 floors that day! I was SO sore the next day, that's for sure! I also made Goulash for dinner...and made plenty for leftovers since I knew we'd be busy this week.

Saturday, I finished moving everything out of the living room and dining room...well everything except the huge sectional couch that we don't have room for anywhere else. :P So I put it on furniture coasters to make it easier to move as we go. Everything else has been moved to the office, the dining room chairs are downstairs, and the table is taking up a lot of room in the middle of the kitchen. :P Then Johnny and Ashlyn tore up the tiles at the front door and the carpet, padding, and tack strips everywhere except under where the couch was at the time...while I pulled up all the staples and hammered down some nails that were sticking up a bit. 

Sunday, we moved the couch and removed the last of the carpet, padding, and staples. Then we had some work in the yard that needed to be done. Aubry mowed and then Johnny dealt with the stray trees and weeds while I ran out to my mom's house to get some tools we needed for the floor. Sunday night I set up pick-up orders with Walmart and Lowes.

Monday was a busy day of errands. I had to take Aubry to her doctor appointment and then run to Lowes to pick up the last things we needed to work on the floor. I took all that home and shortly after that the Walmart order was ready. I had to wait for almost an hour after I checked in because they were so backed up. I didn't mind that much, though. After they got everything loaded up, I got home and got all the groceries put away. Then after Johnny got off work, I was able to start sanding the subfloors a little before it got too late.

Since it's too loud to sand while Johnny is taking calls for work, Tuesday I decided to draw our living room and dining room to scale and then cut more paper the scale size of the planks so that I could arrange them and develop a plan for putting the floor down.

After Johnny was finished with work (at 9pm) I sanded the floors some more. I'm sure the neighbors were thrilled. :P But I did try to stop as early as possible and I kept the windows closed to dampen the sound some more.

Wednesday, I cleaned up the floors and did my normal household chores (more dishes, laundry, etc). As soon as Johnny got off work, I ran the vacuum and then I painted some Kilz in the dining room and a few spots in the living room to seal it before we went to bed. The plan was to start the flooring the next morning, but of course it rained all day. :P It wouldn't have mattered, but I had to set up the saws (for the planks that need to be cut down to size) on the back porch so that it wouldn't be too loud while Johnny was working. So I decided to paint another coat of Kilz and worked on my family tree. :)

And today I took off the baseboards and swept. Then I got distracted by internet problems and trying to figure out how long the outage was predicted so Johnny could get back to work. But I'm eating some lunch now and then gonna start laying the new flooring down! :) YAY!