Thursday, September 12, 2019

Still love my laptop...

I bought my Dell laptop in the summer of 2013 after my previous HP laptop overhead and fried the motherboard (seems to be a common problem with my HP laptops despite using them only when they're sitting on cooling fans). I remember when I got it...because I was sick that day and Johnny was sitting in the bathroom with me so I could guide him through the set-up in between the times I was vomiting. :P I have a very sweet and very helpful husband! ;)

Anyway...I'm very picky when it comes to the keyboards on my laptops. They have to have a certain feel when I'm pressing the keys or it screws up my groove (I type really fast!). We had to buy Johnny a laptop about a year later...and I HATE the keyboard on his computer...which is really just the newer 17 inch screen version of my 15 inch Dell Inspiron laptop.

So...I really don't want to get a new laptop unless I absolutely have to. I have taken this thing apart so many times...I'm getting pretty good at it! See...the power jack where the cord plugs into the computer kept needing to be replaced because the plastic bottom case was broken in that area. So it meant that the power jack was loose...which would cause the wires in the back to break apart. So I replaced it twice...and the last time I also had to replace the wireless network adapter card. That was a pretty easy fix though...I just have to remove the keyboard and then you can access the card from there.

BUT...I finally decided to just replace the entire bottom case of the laptop so the power jack would be stable again. I'd never actually taken apart the ENTIRE thing before...but it was fairly simple. It was really just a matter of unscrewing some screws, popping it in the new case, then screwing everything down and connecting a few cables.

So this is what I did today...