Sunday, January 16, 2022

RECIPE: Grandma's Chicken Salad

When my Grandma Ina was alive, I always loved when she made chicken salad sandwiches. There was always a mountain of quartered chicken salad sandwiches for Christmas Eve at their house. She made some for me for both of my weddings. It's delicious! Unfortunately, I never got the recipe from her before she died in 2020. And as it turns out...she never actually wrote down the recipe. But between my grandpa and my aunt, I did get a list of the ingredients...so I just had to kind of wing it as far as how much to use. Grandma also boiled the chicken, but I decided to use my Instant Pot to poach the chicken. So...here's what I ended up coming up with. While it'll never be the same as grandma making it for me...it tastes the same and reminds me of her. <3 Also, zucchini relish is what gives the chicken salad *her* flavor. I found a really good zucchini relish on Etsy that I used for this recipe.

Grandma's Chicken Salad
Ingredients:
4 chicken breasts
4 cups water 
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic salt 
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp dill weed
1/2 tsp lemon pepper 
1/2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce 
1 tsp celery seed, divided
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 1/2 cup Miracle Whip 
1 cup zucchini relish
1/4 tsp salt 
1/4 pepper  

Directions: 
1. Pour water in pressure cooker. Add dill weed, garlic salt, onion powder, lemon pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and 1/2 tsp of celery seed to water and stir. 
2. Place chicken in the pressure cooker. 
3. Lock the lid and cook on high pressure for 7 minutes. 
4. Allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes before quick releasing the rest of the pressure. 
5. Allow the chicken to cool then shred (I use my KitchenAid mixer).  
6. Combine the shredded chicken with the miracle whip, yellow onion, zucchini relish, 1/2 tsp celery seed, salt and pepper. Stir until mixed well.