Thursday, July 15, 2021

RECIPE: Creamy Chicken Enchiladas

So...I've been making Sour Cream Enchiladas since 2001 and they were pretty much the only enchiladas I made. My sister sent me a green chile chicken enchilada recipe that looked pretty good...but I almost never stick to a recipe I find unless it's a family recipe. Plus...I'm not a fan of green chile enchilada sauce. So...I decided to come up with my own recipe for a creamy, cheesy sauce. I had a deadline for work Wednesday morning so I made these a day late for Taco Tuesday...but they were delicious! Johnny said he would still like to try them with a little green chile enchilada sauce poured over them as well...so next time I think I'll get a can of it for him and he can just add it on his plate. ;)

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas 
Ingredients:
1 pkg of flour tortillas (I used the soft taco size) 
2 lbs of chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (I cooked frozen chicken breasts in the Instant Pot)
8 oz shredded Monterey or pepper jack cheese 
8 oz finely shredded fiesta blend cheese
1 tbs paprika
1/2 tsp garlic salt 
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp onion powder 
1/8 tsp oregano 
1/8 tsp chili powder 
16 oz cup sour cream, divided
3 tbs butter
3 tbs flour 
1 can chicken broth 
4 oz or 7 oz can diced green chiles, medium (more or less depending on your preference)
Diced cilantro, green onions, and/or black olives for garnish (optional)

Directions: 
1. Preheat Oven to 375.  Combine both kinds of shredded cheese together in a bowl and stir a bit to mix them all up.
2. Melt the butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Stir in flour. Add chicken broth and whisk until slightly thickened.  
3. Reduce to simmer. Add 1 cup of shredded cheese mixture, 1 cup of sour cream, and the can of green chiles to the saucepan and whisk the sauce until smooth. 
4. Combine chicken, 1 cup sour cream, 1 cup of cheese, paprika, garlic salt, cumin, onion powder, oregano, and chili powder. Stir until it is all mixed well. 
5. Spread a thin layer of the sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 pan. 
6. Fill each tortilla with the chicken mixture and fold like a burrito. Layer the burritos in the 9x13 pan. 
7. Pour the sauce over the enchiladas. Top with the remaining shredded cheese. 
8. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly. 

Sometimes I want them to be even creamier...so I will add another can of chicken broth and another 1-2 cups of shredded cheese to the sauce. Sometimes I'll even stir in a bit of the sauce to the chicken mixture as well. :)