Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Almost Thanksgiving!

I can't believe Thanksgiving is tomorrow! I keep saying it, but the year really is going by so fast. But then at the same time, it's also seemed like a really long year. 

We're just having Thanksgiving dinner here at home this year. Despite not gathering, our loved ones near and far are always in our hearts! And I do think once the pandemic has subsided (at least once a vaccine is developed) we will have a family gathering where we can all come together again in one big group. But until then, we will continue to love at a distance! <3 

But, just because we can't gather, that doesn't mean we can't eat! In 2018, it was just Johnny and I here at the house. Johnny's kids are adults with their own families so they've often had other plans either at their home or with their spouse's families. So in 2018, his daughter celebrated Thanksgiving at their house the Sunday before and we went over there. Then on Thursday my kids went to have dinner with XH's family so Johnny and I just enjoyed a huge Thanksgiving dinner for two (and plenty of leftovers!) and then Johnny made an appearance at his son's gathering as well (I had a work deadline and couldn't make it). 

our feast at home in 2018

So, this year we'll pretty much be doing the same thing for dinner tomorrow. We'll be having: 
- Turkey 
- Mashed Potatoes
- Reames Egg Noodles 
- Turkey Gravy 
- Corn
- Stuffing
- Candied Yams 
- Green Bean Casserole 
- Cornbread Casserole
- Cranberry sauce
- Macaroni & Cheese 
- Dinner Rolls 
- Pumpkin Pie 
- Banana Cake Bread 
- Strawberry Whip Dream

This will be the first year that Johnny isn't waking up early to put the turkey in the oven. This year, I decided to just get a turkey breast AND I'm going to cook it in the pressure cooker. :) I was late deciding exactly what I wanted to do this year. I got most of the groceries for dinner ahead of time, but was waiting to decide if Johnny was going to pick up a whole turkey or not. Finally I just placed a Walmart pick-up order Tuesday morning...and of course there wasn't a same-day timeslot available. :P So I got the notification that my order was ready...but no turkey breast! They were sold out of that and toilet paper. :P So I ran over to Dillons on my way to pick up the Walmart order and luckily they had plenty of turkey breasts to choose from. But I suppose it worked out...because this way I could make sure that I picked up a big one. Walmart listed the turkey breast as 2.5 to 10 lbs (big difference!) and there's no way to add a note about what you want (they should really consider adding that). Anyway, so I grabbed a 7.68 lb turkey breast at Dillons. And since it's frozen and tomorrow is Thanksgiving...if I cook it in the pressure cooker, it doesn't matter if it's still frozen. ;) Not only that, but it frees up the oven for other things without a turkey cooking all day long. 

I'm also cheating and using Bob Evans mashed potatoes that I can heat up in the microwave along with the large container of Stauffer's macaroni and cheese in the freezer that we were going to have for a different dinner and I forgot about. :P So...that one is basically to just get it out of my freezer! Oh and I'm also using the jar of turkey gravy that Johnny likes because I'm not that picky about turkey gravy...plus I always love a good shortcut. ;) Oh and the cranberries...Johnny always just uses the canned ones. Plus, I'm pretty sure he's the only one who eats it. lol ;) 

The green been casserole I'll bake in the toaster oven and the cornbread casserole and candied yams I'll bake in the oven. Then the stuffing will be on the stovetop with the gravy. I usually make the Reams egg noodles on the stovetop, but I'll probably just make them in the crockpot...pretty simple that way. 

I bought the pumpkin pie from Walmart. I don't eat pumpkin pie and nobody else is picky enough to turn down pumpkin pie even if it is store-bought. ;) And I actually remembered the ReddiWhip in the Walmart order I picked up today. I also decided last minute that strawberry whip dream sounds really good. I can't find where I put the exact recipe from my grandma OR exactly what she called it on the recipe...but I think strawberry whip dream sounds like an awesome name. ;) It's basically strawberry Jell-o, strawberries, and whipped cream. It's SO yummy. Hopefully it'll turn out since I'm just winging it. ;) I'm going to make that tonight so it's in the fridge for a good long time before eating. I'm also going to bake two loaves of banana cake bread today as well. Everything else I'll make tomorrow. 

I'll make a post after Thanksgiving with all the recipes from our Thanksgiving meal. :) Until then, everyone stay safe and have a happy Thanksgiving!